Healthy Cajun Beans and Rice
Preparation: 10 min. Cooking: 15 min.
Total: 25 min.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb turkey sausage, sliced into .5 in. thick slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4-2/3 cups cooked rice
- 1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes, Cajun-style
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup chopped green onions, thinly sliced
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add sausage, onion, green pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring 7-10 minutes, or until sausage is browned and onion is tender. Add rice, kidney beans, navy beans, tomatoes, oregano, and hot pepper sauce. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes more until well blended and thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with green onions and serve immediately.
Courtesy American Dry Bean Board.